Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs) have become indispensable tools in the trucking industry. Originally introduced to improve safety, limit drivers' hours of service (HOS), and ensure fair pay, ELDs have grown beyond their initial purpose. Fleet managers now rely on ELDs to monitor driving time, vehicle engine performance, and to plan preventative maintenance and optimize fuel usage. These devices help prevent costly fines and optimize fleet performance by monitoring factors like harsh braking and idling time.
One key advantage of ELDs is their ability to provide more than just safety enhancements. By replacing paper logs and connecting ELDs to Transportation Management Systems (TMS), carriers can gather crucial information that facilitates better decision-making to improve overall fleet performance.
When selecting the right ELD with the appropriate API functionality, several factors should be considered:
- Compatibility with your TMS: It's crucial to choose an ELD that seamlessly integrates with your TMS for efficient data transfer.
- Ease of Use: The ELD should be user-friendly with intuitive features and a straightforward interface.
- Scalability: Ensure the ELD can grow with your operations as your business expands without requiring significant additional investment.
It's important to note that relying solely on a driver's cell phone location may not be the ideal solution. ELD devices offer more accurate GPS tracking of trucks and provide real-time location data accessible directly from your dispatch, offering a cost-effective solution.
Our GPS/ELD functionality includes:
Real-time location display on the dispatch map.
- Location in and out timestamps for terminals and waypoints, including calculation of waiting times.
Real-time device position view for customers and ETA notifications in the ePORTAL™.
- OBDII port truck data reading, such as odometer and truck health information.
- Save drivers' HOS into the TMS for drivers' settlements, and much more.
Using GPS/ELD devices offers several advantages:
- Real-time location data improves communication with dispatch, enhancing customer service and the overall delivery experience.
Telematics data aids in vehicle maintenance, extending vehicle lifespans, reducing urgent repair costs, and minimizing truck downtime, which ultimately leads to cost savings and increased profitability.
- Real-time data supports activities like insurance, factoring, and rate calculations, benefiting multiple parties in the transportation industry.
Why not get started right now? Learn more in a free demo by clicking the button below.Schedule Free Demo